Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nostalgica

You know what would make the Peace Corps 1000 times better?! A teleportation device. For days like today. When I need to be at home. To surprise my mom with flowers. To make my dad his favorite dessert. To brighten a dark day for a best friend. To plan something special for my one and only sister.
But. As I was sitting here, folding my laundry, of all mundane tasks, I realized that I’m here. I considered and pondered and wondered and went back and forth and decided and changed my mind and then decided again, then committed, then waited, then got accepted, then waited some more, then packed, then got on the plane, and then I flew away. And after years of anticipation, doubt, and excitement, as cheesy as it sounds, I’m livin’ the dream. And I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to experience this. It would be a waste to spend it wallowing in homesickness. So I buck up! (And count down the minutes until the next Skype session.)

No comments:

Post a Comment