Monday, February 18, 2013

El Sabor Ecuatoriano

Sunday, February 17th. We had a potluck at the training center a couple weeks ago. It went so well and everyone was so fat and happy that we’re having another one this week. Last time, I signed up for Alchochas Rellenas, which are stuffed peppers (but they’re not hot). My host mom had made some for dinner one night and they were so good, I decided to try and make them myself. The potluck was the same day as our first big presentation and I had a lot of work to do for it. My host mom and I had gone to the market and I bought most of the ingredients to make the peppers with shrimp, cheese, peas, carrots, onion, and garlic with a cream sauce on top. Sonia knew that I had a lot of homework to do, so she tricked me and cooked almost everything when I was at school and when I was in the shower, she just saved the stuffing part for me to do which is really easy. Anyway, it was really nice of her and everyone absolutely loved the peppers. This time I signed up for a dessert so that if I didn’t have time, I would just buy something so that my host mom wouldn’t be burdened again. As soon as I mentioned this, my host mom decided we needed to make Tres Leches cake so that I could learn. My host dad has made this several times while my host mom was pregnant so he walked me through it. It looks amazing and I saved the recipe. Momma- I’ll make it for Christmas dessert J
Also, for lunch today, my host mom made ceviche Ecuatoriano, which is way different than the Mexican kind I know and love, but I gotta say, it was better! It had all the normal stuff like shrimp, tomatoes, onion, green peppers, lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, garlic, but on top, they add a bunch of crunchy condiments. There was thin sliced, fried plantains, roasted corn kernels, and popcorn! And rice, of course. The ceviche is like a cold soup with lots of flavorful liquid so you add the crunchy stuff as you’re eating to absorb all the juice. I immediately thought of my brother in-law, Chris and all of his awesome seafood creations. I’ll make this sometime for you when I get back, bro. Also, happy birthday!!! Wish I could have come to your brunch and thrown back some beers with you.
In other news! The president, Rafael Correa, won the election by 56% and will serve his second term. I’m not allowed to have political opinions, but I will say that I think this is the best result, safety-wise. Because he has such a high approval rating, I don’t think there will be many protests or uprisings. My host parents are happy so I’m happy. I also found out that it is mandatory to vote here. You are fined 30-something dollars if you don’t vote. Interesting.
Anyway, I also made pancakes again today and we sat around the table stuffed for about an hour after breakfast, watching Men in Black in espanol. Then for dinner my host mom couldn’t decide what to make and randomly asked me how we eat tuna in the states. I explained a tuna sandwich and they had never heard of it. They eat it with rice and potatoes (go figure) so I made tuna melts for dinner. Overall, today was an excellent food day. They have a saying when they’re full here, “la barriga llena, el corazon contento” (stomach full, heart happy). Lovin el sabor Ecuatoriano.
Thank you for reading and thank you for caring about my barriga gorda.
Xoxo
Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment