Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Middle of the World


Dude. Yesterday, I was sitting around the house minding my own business when the entire family showed up. Sonia had said that if the rain let up a little we’d head into Quito, then my mom and my sister and Colton called from the States! Which was an awesome surprise! I love trying to talk to Colton, I have a hard time understanding him on the phone but he makes my heart feel so full. So I had just lost service talking to them and 8 host family members walked in around 2 and didn’t leave until 8pm. I didn’t mind at all because it’s always so interesting to get a different piece of Ecuador, but it’s just so funny how no one plans here. So my host mom made an awesome lunch for everyone and then we watched Battleship, starring Rhianna, in Espanol, for the second time. I had made pancakes for breakfast and my host parents told everyone how good they were, which made me really happy and then everyone tasted the light syrup straight from the bottle lol. My host mom and I also made a cheesecake with fresh blackberry compote on top. Holy geez.Exactly what I needed. I’ve been feeling like my taste buds are missing home lately, just because we eat a lot of chicken and rice and they don’t use a lot of sauces here. But this was gourmet Sunday and I was in Heaven (and a food coma). 

So as the day was winding down, my host parents told the whole family that we would meet up today to celebrate Carnaval. A bunch of ideas were thrown around and they argued about the various pools, rivers, and hot springs nearby (everyone bathes in some fashion for Carnaval) and I was really confused because my host parents had said they were going to take me to a tourist site on Monday. Apparently they were just being nice but they knew that the extended family never really goes anywhere.

So we got up early and headed to La Mitad del Mundo (The Middle of the World), which is a touristy site at the 0 degree latitude line, the equator. I was happily surprised that it was not hokey as I expected it to be. They had mini museums throughout the area, they actually call the site a city, it’s quite big with lots of shops and restaurants. They also had live music in celebration of Carnaval, plenty of espuma, and get this- bullfighting! Although it was sad to watch because I felt really bad for the bulls, it was THRILLING and they don’t kill the bulls or hurt them, they just taunt them. That’s what I kept telling myself because it was such a guilty pleasure, my host mom was screaming the whole time and even baby Ayllen was clapping and learned how to say “ole”. I have some video, but I can’t believe I didn’t catch it on film when the bull got his revenge and trampled the guy! Toro-1, Toredor-0.

Great day overall, but very long. We were out from 8am to 8pm. Had some more cheesecake for dinner and my host parents told me to sleep in as long as I want tomorrow, and I will take them up on that. This weekend is the first time in Ecuador that I’ve felt cold. When it rained before, it was still warm, but now, it’s very difficult to leave my dolphin blanket. I also just bought a book in English after painfully reading 65 pages of a Spanish book. I foresee a long day curled up in bed tomorrow.
Some things I have learned so far (in no particular order): Tacos= high heels, not dinner. Pincho= delish-kabob, not a bad word. Sometimes it’s okay to push- when getting on a crowded bus at a station, it’s necessary. It doesn’t matter what size or shape you are, leggings as pants= totally acceptable. Any animal could be a pet. And some pets are grilled and eaten. 

Mundane discovery made today: my Chive sweatshirt has a secret pocket! I’ve been wearing this thing almost every day and just found this out! SO PERFECT FOR ECUADOR where pickpocketing is rampant and good hiding spots are a blessing.

Keep calm and chive on, from Ecuador, with love.

Chels
I walk the line.
Ayllen, 5 pounds lighter on the Ecuator
My wonderful host family

Totally hoping for a cross breed between llamas and flamingos



Wrong. Just ugly llamas.

BULLFIGHTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment