Saturday, April 20, 2013

It’s a Small and Beautiful World


As I settle into my new site and my new home, I’m finding fewer reasons to update. I hope to start going on some more exciting adventures, but while I’m still getting accustomed to this new place, I’ll try to fill in the blanks with tidbits of my daily life and various things I find interesting about Ecuador.
I played my first soccer game as I mentioned in the last post and it was so much fun! We lost… real bad… but I loved it. It was the female teachers vs the mothers and those women played HARD! They kicked and pushed and deserved the win. I was an “atacante”, so I played forward and almost made 3 goals, but the moms on defense were badass. All of the students stuck around to watch me play and even started chanting “queremos Chelsea” and cheered me on, which was awesome, and they all said I played hard and did well. 

Then last weekend we hiked in Puela, which is a small town outside of Riobamba. We hopped on a bus in the city and took it down a bumpy road in the middle of nowhere and then hiked following the river for about an hour. We arrived at a gorgeous waterfall on the Tungurahua volcano and had a short meeting with the other volunteers in our cluster. Our volunteer leader brought along a friend she met here in Ecuador from the States who turned out to be doing research here for her Masters at UCSD and lives in Hillcrest! A block away from my old house! Crazy! I love coincidences. It really is a small world. So after the meeting was over, we didn’t have time to keep hiking on to the hot springs so we decided we’ll have to make a trip back there when we have more time. The volcano is actually currently active, but the lava only flows on the opposite side of the volcano from where we were. 

After the adventure and long day of traveling on Saturday, my volunteer friend, Todd came into town and we climbed the 584 steps of Sinchaguasin in my town and then walked around the other side back to the market and shopped. I did my laundry, cleaned up, and Todd and I prepared for our big presentation this week. 

Part of my job in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) is language capacity building and new methodology training for the High School teachers. To accomplish this, the Ministry of Education coordinator arranges for a classroom and teachers and the volunteers take care of the training. Normally, we wouldn’t have this responsibility until after a few months in our sites, but because of scheduling conflicts with the other volunteers, Todd and I had our first TOT (training of teachers) in our second week! I was definitely nervous, but we had the presentation and materials planned out from the current volunteers. We were lucky to get a really nice group of teachers and Monday, Wednesday, and Friday went off without a hitch. I had been feeling pretty queasy over the previous weekend and then I caught a cold at the beginning of the week. The combination of the two just wiped my energy completely and I ended up missing 2 days of work. I felt really bad since I’m so new but everyone was really understanding. In fact, one of the English teachers actually showed up at my house with about 30 students on Thursday morning to check on me. I was in my jammies with some crazy hair so I felt pretty awkward but it was nice of them. Apparently 2 other teachers had come by also but my host grandmother told them I was sleeping. 

Now it’s Friday and I can’t sleep because I’ve been sleeping for 2 days. So I’m watching my favorite Telenovela, “Porque el Amor Manda”. I’ve had stomach problems for a full week. I’ve tried fasting, but my host family forces me to eat anyway. So I’ve been basically just eating bread, broth, and tea, but nothing is doing the trick. I’m gonna call the Peace Corps medical office tomorrow and see what they suggest. Wish me luck. It’s probably just getting accustomed to new foods, but it might be from the cow’s milk. Some other Ecuadorians have been telling me that they can’t even drink straight cow’s milk because it’s so heavy, so I’ll probably be eliminating it. 

Anywhozer, esos estan mis novedades ahora. Talk at you soon. Abrazos.

Cascadas de Puela and the lovely volunteers in my cluster

No comments:

Post a Comment