Sunday, October 20, 2013

Embarrassing Reflections



Buying toilet paper in this country is embarrassing for me. So silly. It’s such an essential purchase and yet, I’ve started buying it in the city so that I can hide it in my backpack on the way back home. And it’s all because I’ve actually seen people snickering or smiling when they see me walking by with just a 4 pack of Charmin in my hand. (Okay, we don’t actually have Charmin. I said that for effect. I actually buy the best smelling cheap brand, Scott.) This is how I figure it: everything I do is noticed and observed. I could be walking down a street in San Diego with a roll of toilet paper and I would be just as invisible as usual, but here, they see it and think about it. So then, I assume they think “jaja the gringa poops” or maybe they’re thinking that I have to buy tons of TP because everyone knows gringos get gastrointestinal problems here, which I’m proud to say that I haven’t in MONTHS, thank you very much! (Knock on wood.) Maybe I’m just being paranoid. Or maybe I also had my fly down and a kick me sign on my back the times that I noticed people laughing. 

Also

 
That moment when you realize all the time you save by not shaving your legs is canceled out by how much time you spend flossing meat out of your teeth. Said the female Peace Corps Volunteer who was a vegetarian once upon a time. (I floss my teeth multiple times a day. True story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment