Friday, January 25, 2013

4 Seasons in One Day

I got sunburnt this morning (I now have a watch tan. Real cute. ) and it rained on me this afternoon as I walked home in a jacket. I got home and exclaimed about this ridiculous weather to my host mom and her answer was simply, “Bienvenidos a Ecuador. Cuatro estaciones en un dia.” She explained that everywhere I go, I need to wear sunblock and bring a jacket. Everyday. I opened my curtains, I’m waiting for snow.
I find myself thinking in Spanish now. I’m not sure if this is the road to being bilingual or if this is temporary insanity caused by my preoccupation with learning the language. New words, phrases, and customs are constantly at the forefront of my mind to the point of obsession.
We visited a school today to observe the English classes, but it was a military academy, so the environment is different than our future sites. The kids were hilarious! And so cute. They seemed very nervous with us watching, I’m really going to make an effort to make the students feel more comfortable when I’m in my permanent site at my school. One of the kids walked up to a volunteer and said “what’s your name?” (in English) the volunteer responded with his name and asked for the student’s name, the student said “thank you” J This is going to be fun.
Talk at you soon.
<3 Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment