Monday, June 17, 2013

Facebook and Philosophy


*Disclaimer: This post is not about the Peace Corps, Ecuador, or my grand adventure. It does not contain thrilling stories about teaching high school or gastro-intestinal problems. If you’re only here to hear about the poop, feel free to skip this one.

Sometimes when I see 25 facebook posts about the same stupid TV show that I can’t watch, and I’m in a bad mood, I think “oh, poor you, your favorite character was killed off?! Oh no! You have to wait one whole week in suspense to find out what happened to Robert! Big whoop. Get a life.” And other times, when I’m in a good mood, I think about how silly and wonderful it is when people can bond and relate to each other over fiction and how beautiful it can be when someone can forget their troubles and envelop themselves in another world using nothing but their imagination (and a flat screen and cable television). It’s like a new age (lazier) version of a book club. But it’s also a 21st century example of the familiar nature of the human condition and it comforts me to think that in some ways, we’re really all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment