Saturday, June 22, 2013

Things I Love


-when I walk by some students and they say in English “good morning, teacher!” … at 4:00pm

-when my host grandmother talks to the dog in the back of the house. To the 3 dogs that live in the house, she just calls them “bandidos” (rascals) and yells at them to get out of the kitchen. But with the dog in the back, when he barks, she asks “what is it, Bobby? Where did he go? That way? Okay, I’ll go check it out.” And then she does. Ecuadorian dog whisperer.

-rainbows. I’ve seen more here in 5 months than in my whole life combined.

-living in the mountains. At any point throughout the day, somewhere within my 360 degree view, there is a picturesque landscape.

-bonding. Getting together with other TEFL volunteers, starting a story about something that annoys me and them immediately understanding, having experienced exactly the same thing.

-fireworks. I have always loved fireworks. It’s such a simple thing to love but I think it’s beautiful and I love the idea that someone wanted to decorate the sky to celebrate. People use fireworks here for everything: festivals, birthday parties, weddings, baptisms, everything!

-taking off my watch at the end of the day. It’s a tangible way of telling myself to relax, that the worries of time will cease to be of importance until the sun rises again.

-hearing my students listen and sing along to original Papa Roach songs that I listened to in 9th grade (12 years ago! Ew I’m old.)

-waking up to sunshine. In my adult life, the world generally makes me get up much earlier than I would prefer and though I was a morning person as a child, I am now just a gruñona (grump) before 10:00am or 2 cups of coffee. Most days here in Pujili, when I wake up it’s gray, bleak, or raining. On the days that the sun is shining, I picture the universe telling me “it’s okay. You can leave the safety and comfort of your bed, I’ll keep you warm today.”

-singing 1990’s American songs in the supermarket with my volunteer friend

-care packages from my mom. And peanut butter. Mmmm peanut butter. It’s $7 a jar here (way out of my budget) so I become a PB addict, checking the mail everyday, ripping the box open, and immediately dipping peanut butter M&M’s in peanut butter. I can feel the peanut butter coursing through my veins and I don’t even feel guilty about it.

-looking forward to stuff. This has always gotten me through difficult times and makes everything seem more worth it. Currently looking forward to: teacher’s trip to the beach possibly next week, Reconnect conference in August (I get to live with Sonia again for a week and see all the volunteers in my group), the birth of my niece in September! (even though I’ll be here, miserably worried all day, I can’t wait to see her face on skype and see the happiness of my sister and cuñado), Christmas is a distant dream, and visitors to Ecuador next year.

-birthdays. Mine is in exactly 2 months. I’ll be at Sonia’s so I’m sure I’ll be eating some delicious food!

-pinchos. I have an abusive love affair with these delish-kabobs. I don’t care how sick you make me, I will always come back to you.

-recognizing someone while walking down the street in the big city nearby. When they smile and wave, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. When they say hello and remember my name, it makes me feel like I belong here.
 
I will be adding to this post as the days and months and years go on, as I´m sure I will begin to love a thousand more things. Check back as I update this entry and my perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I just found your blog researching Ecuador, I'm an RPCV, Jordan 08-10 and I'm headed to Ecuador in about a month. I'm supposed to be staying in Quito and wanted to try and get some quality information about the country from an PCV! If you have the time I'd love to be able to ask you some questions. My email is: leah.u.maloney@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete