Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chaquiñan and Chuchaqui


July 17th, 2013. Phew. Just got back from Cumbaya/Tumbaco. The graduation ceremony/party on Saturday was beautiful and fun and I admire the graduate very much. She is very intelligent and mature and has a lot of very open-minded ideas that she’s not afraid to express. She’s only seventeen and she’s leaving in 2 weeks to live in the United States for 6 months in order to perfect her English (which is already really good!) She’s going to stay with a host family in Long Beach, CA so I was trying to give her my best advice on SoCal. I already know she’s going to have such an amazing, life-changing experience, I’m really excited for her. And of course, the family treated us like one of their own and fed us delicious fancy food. The appetizer was a shrimp salad in a papaya! SO yummy.
After the party, we stayed the night in the training center in Tumbaco since we were in the area and had the summer camp training on Monday. It was kind of eerie but really cool to be back there. As soon as I walked into the dormitory, I could feel all the emotions I felt on my first night in Ecuador. But this time I was a lot more tranquila. 

On Sunday Todd and I hiked on the Chaquiñan (a bike path that leads to a beautiful canyon and river) and then headed over to Sonia’s house for lunch and a visit. I always leave their house with such a full heart (and stomach). Visiting with them makes me feel so much less homesick. I can’t even describe how good it feels to know that someone in this country truly cares about me. A few other Peace Corps volunteers headed into town that night also and we met at the mall and ate brownie sundaes and caught up and reminisced, which was really nice. 

Monday, we started the training and completely went in blind. This happens quite often here, communication is much more indirect, so there have been countless times that I walk into a room and have absolutely no clue what to expect. I knew that it was a summer camp being run by the US Embassy in August, and I was under the impression that we were just going to be doing a few English classes during the camp. Wrong. Turns out it’s an English Immersion Camp and we would be spending the 2 days of training planning, scheduling, organizing, and creating all of the activities for the camp alongside Ecuadorian college students who are studying to be English teachers. This is something that I have zero experience in, but by the end of the 2 days, I decided that this camp is probably going to be the coolest thing I’ll do this year. All the activities sound so fun and productive and the college students we were working with were SO nice! Some of the nicest people I’ve met here. We created a friendship in such a quick time and I’m really looking forward to seeing them again in August. To be continued.

Monday night I went back to Sonia’s house for dinner and hot chocolate, it was amazing, of course. And then Tuesday night we were finished with training so we decided to get a couple drinks and dinner in Cumbaya (fancy town). I don’t get out too much here and apparently the other volunteers are in the same boat, so we got a little crazy, but it was well deserved and not out of control. But I felt so crappy Wednesday morning when I had to travel back to my site. I was extra nauseous on the bus with all the curvy roads and I was super sleepy from not getting much sleep the last couple days. Plus I have to admit it was a little hard to come back knowing I’ve got a lot to do here and leaving a fun couple days of new friends and good work. I get on my last of 3 buses and one of my really good students was sitting in the front row and greeted me with a big smile and “CHELSEA!” as soon as I got on. Then, she paid for my bus fare without me knowing and then bought me a bag of mani (sweet peanuts) and had the vendor bring them over to me. It was the sweetest thing and made coming back to normal life a lot happier.

Those are my novedades. No complaints here. Life is pretty rad.
Felicidades, Domi!

Chaquiñan

´In a van! Down by the river!´

No comments:

Post a Comment